There are steps you can take to create your healthiest smile possible. And this is important because healthy teeth and gums aren’t just good for a pretty smile, but they help you to eat and speak properly. A healthy smile which is devoid of tooth decay and gum disease will also improve your overall health and well-being.
Daily oral hygiene helps remove the oral bacteria that live in your mouth in a sticky film called plaque. If it is not removed daily, this sticky film attacks tooth enamel and irritate your gums, causing cavities and gingivitis (or gum disease). If gum disease isn’t treated, you can develop periodontal (advanced gum) disease which can cause teeth to loosen and ultimately, fall out.
Creating a healthy smile will not only minimize issues with your smile but help prevents more costly, invasive treatment down the road. Let’s look at the steps you can take to create your healthiest smile:
- Clean your mouth every day: brush at least twice daily and floss at least once. Many people like flossing before bedtime to remove any stray food particles for the night.
- Maintain all your six-month dental checkups and cleanings to remove hardened plaque (tartar).
- Consume a healthy diet with balanced meals–lean protein, whole grains, vegetables, and fresh fruit.
- Eat meals instead of snacking throughout the day and limit sugary, starchy foods and drinks.
- Drink plenty of water to maintain healthy levels of saliva which prevents dry mouth.
- If you have a propensity towards cavities, use products toothpaste and mouthwash with fluoride to support tooth enamel.
Creating a healthy smile isn’t difficult, but it does take daily effort. For more information about protecting your smile, or if you would like to schedule a cleaning, please call our Goose Creek Family Dentistry team at 843-764-3081 today. Our dentist, Dr. Ryan Gilreath in Goose Creek , South Carolina, is here to help you to create your healthiest smile!